(Last modified 20th January, 2013)
We want to make this archiving experience as pleasurable as possible, and to do so, we need to have our rules in check. We don't want to have to police everyone or have to constantly remind everyone how it should be done, so if you read through these rules and guidelines (which thanks to KerriganSheehan has been simplified), you'll save us a lot of work, and we'll save you a lot of agony.
- This archive can only accept stories written in English (we have no resources to check stories in other languages)
- Use of other languages in a story is permitted if limited to simple words, phrases and the like
- If another language is used, please include translations in the Chapter Notes at the bottom of the chapter in question
- Pick the correct fandoms.
- If you find your fandom, don’t select the base category as well.
- If you can’t find your fandom, you can use the base category temporarily.
- Request your fandom in the forums.
- When it becomes an option, change the category of your story.
- Only add multiple fandoms if your story is a crossover.
- The Original Creative Fiction category is reserved for stories not linked to any fandoms.
- The following types of stories do not belong in the Original Creative Fiction category:
- Alternative Universe/Reality for existing fandoms.
- Original Character in existing fandoms.
- Original idea in existing fandom.
- Only post a story once in the archive.
- You can only post your own work, regardless of whether you get permission or not.
- You cannot submit chapters as stand-alone stories.
- A Series is only for stringing together two or more stories.
- Do not add a series until you have more than one story to add to it. Empty series will be deleted upon sight.
- You can add a work in progress if you add one or more finished chapters to it when you update.
- Adding summaries or author’s notes as a “chapter” is forbidden.
- Messages for your readers belong in the forum, your profile, or in your chapter notes.
- Explicitly sexual scenes involing characters under the age of 18 are not allowed. They will be removed upon discovery with no grace period or warning, though you will be notified. Any sexual situation involving pre-pubescent children is subject to the same punishment.
- The following authors forbid fanfiction based on their works. Submissions based on their works will not be accepted.
- P.N. Elrod
- Raymond Feist
- Terry Goodkind
- Robin Hobb
- Laurell K. Hamilton
- Anne McCaffrey
- Dennis L. McKiernan
- Robin McKinley
- Irene Radford
- Anne Rice
- Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb
- Stories based on real people are a sensitive matter in and of itself, as they could potentially have a detrimental effect on the person(s) in question, thereby we cannot allow real people submission with sexual, violent or otherwise gritty content. Such stories will be removed upon discovery with no grace period or warning, though you will be notified.
- For the time being, we are allowing stories based on real people as long as it's clearly stated that all events, opinions, etc. are fictional. If this category causes problems, however, we may decide to remove it.
INTRODUCIONS and IMAGES
- Titles and Summaries must be kid-friendly. No exceptions.
- “Please Read,” “Untitled,” “No Title,” etc. are not acceptable titles or summaries
- Author Notes belong in the designated Story Notes/Chapter Notes textboxes. Do not include author’s notes within the story textbox at all.
- You must use proper spelling and grammar.
- No stories in ALL CAPS, StIcKy CaPS, or chat speak.
- Dialect should be restricted to dialogue and thoughts.
- We advise all authors to use a beta reader. Even the best writers need corrections.
- Split the text into paragraphs with a blank line between paragraphs.
- Blocked up dialogue is hard to read. Treat a new line of dialogue like a new paragraph.
|Bad Dialogue Formatting
||Good Dialogue Formatting
|"I should go," Peter decided. "I don’t want you anywhere near this." "Why?" Lucy wanted to know. "Because you are just a kid, Lucy," Susan pointed out. "And this is really dangerous." "But I’m brave enough," Lucy insisted.
||"I should go," Peter decided. "I don’t want you anywhere near this."
"Why?" Lucy wanted to know.
"Because you are just a kid, Lucy," Susan pointed out. "And this is really dangerous."
"But I’m brave enough," Lucy insisted.
- Use text decoration (all caps, bold, italic, underline) sparingly.
- BBCode will not work anywhere in the archive. Use the html tags listed above the story or the TinyMCE editor.
- Do not use html, text decorations, linebreaks, or images in summaries.
- If you have the TinyMCE editor enabled, disable it for the summary.
- If you need to separate parts of a chapter by inserting a line of symbols, please limit the width.
- Do not post fandom or character introductions as a chapter.
- Introductions that are not part of a story are considered author’s notes and belongs in the Story Notes or Chapter Notes.
- Overly lengthy and detailed background information posted as an introduction is discouraged. This is why the Fandom 411 section exists.
- FanNation provides image hosting for images up to 200x200 pixels. If you need to use a larger image, you need to find somewhere else to host it.
- Do not hotlink images without expressed permission. Use a free image hosting website (Photobucket, ImageShack) instead.
- Do not upload/link copyrighted images.
- Do not upload/link animated images.
- This is a story archive, not an image gallery. Image collections that are not stories will be deleted upon sight.
- Image descriptions and credits belong in the Story Notes or Chapter Notes, not as part of the story.
||No swearing, drugs, violence, adult themes, or sexual content.
||Minimal mild swearing, minimal references to violence and/or sex, no drugs.
||May contain mild swearing and non-explicit violence, drugs, and sex.
||May contain adult themes, tough swearing, hard violence, sexual themes, and drugs.
||Contains explicit graphical depictions of sex and/or violence, tough swearing, drugs, adult themes, and/or suicide.
- All stories containing suicide should have this warning.
- These stories are off-limits to non-members. Members must verify their age before viewing.
||Use if your story contains detailed description of someone's insides and/or bloody scenarios.
||Use if your story contains spoilers for unaired or recently-aired episodes.
||Use if your story refers to or contains drug use or distribution or otherwise contains drug references.
||Use if your story contains romantic relationships/sexual activity between characters related by blood.
||Use if your story contains vulgar language in English or any other language.
|Major Character Death
||Use if a regular cast member, recurring character, or main original character dies.
|Minor Character Death
||Use if a non-recurring character, an occasionally recurring character, or minor original character dies.
||Use if your story contains or deals with the subject of rape.
||Use if your story contains nudity, content with a light sexual tone with no description, etc. Also use if your story contains smut.
||Use if your story contains actual smut. This warning must be accompanied by a “Sexual Situations” warning and a Mature/Adult content rating.
||Use if your story contains any romance between characters of the same sex.
|Strong Political Views
||Use if your story contains or promotes strong political convictions.
|Strong Religious Views
||Use if your story contains or promotes strong religious opinions.
||Use if your story contains or deals with suicide.
||Use if your story contains torture of any character (major or minor).
||Use if your story contains violence or violent characters (major or minor).
- Put these in the story summaries.
- Use as much as possible.
- Use especially for any TV episode, book, or movie released in the last 12 months.
- Do not reveal your spoiler in your warning
- Good Spoiler Warning Formatting:
"Spoilers for Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan"
- Bad Spoiler Warning Formatting:
"Spoilers for the one where Spock dies."
|A submission can only be one type.
||A story consisting of exactly 100 words.
||Choose this if the submission is a poem, not if it just contains a poem.
||If the submission is written in script format.
||If the submission is written in story format.
||Choose if your story has no featured romantic pairing.
||Choose if your story has one or more featured opposite-sex pairings.
||Choose if your story has one or more featured pairings between two men.
||Choose if your story has one or more featured pairings between two women.
||Choose if your story has one or more featured romance between three or more people.
- Do not choose multi for stories simply having more than one paring of any type.
Submissions found to be in violation of these rules may be removed and the author’s account suspended at the discretion of the site administrators and/or moderators. The site administrators reserve the right to modify these rules as needed.